CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, August 16, 2010

1989 - Joyful Noise: Poems for Two Voices by Paul Fleischman

Dates read: Aug 2010
Read or listened to: Read
Pages: 44 pp.
Rating: ●●

I am not a "poetry person" (whatever that means). I am not sure what my expectations were. But, honestly, it was delightful. The book is written in two columns. It is meant to be read aloud by two people - each reading a column, "the two parts meshing as in a musical duet". If I taught 5th or 6th grade, this would be a wonderful exercise in poetry performance.

My favorite poem was probably Water Striders. I was fascinated with water skeeters growing up so I didn't have any problems hearing the bugs telling me of their experiences.

I thought that Honeybees was a great contrast in the jobs and roles of the different bees in the colonies. Could this evolve into a discussion on classes in our society?

I got dizzy just reading Whirligig Beetles.

I never realized that the word "cricket" is a type of onomatopoeia for the sound a cricket makes until I read this. (I must admit I read it silently - in about 15 minutes, no less - and I could still hear the crickets in my head.)

0 comments: