CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, August 14, 2010

1980 - A Gathering of Days: A New England Journal, 1830-1832

Dates read: August 2010
Read or listened to: Read
Pages: 144 pp.
●●●○○

I enjoyed this book, but it wasn't until the last half that I really got into it. The first half dragged a bit but it was enough to keep me going.

A few things I enjoyed:

  • I liked the 19th century language - "'tis this and 'tis that". Any time I am reading a different dialect it takes a bit of getting used to, but it really added to the authenticity.
  • On the back of the book, I found the following quote from the School Library Journal:
"Her characters are truly of their times, not the 1970s' sensibilities masquerading in 1830s' homespun, and old-fashioned in the best sense of the word--principaled."

I found it true that the principals of the characters appeared very authentic to their time period. Oftentimes we read of characters with modern qualities thrown into the historical time period.
  • "Thus it now appears to me that trust, and not submission, defines obedience. (p. 139)" In a gospel sense, we are more blessed for trusting the Lord - that His commandments are for our good - than just complying (often resentfully).

1 comments:

CoffeeShopBloggers said...

Thank you for the post on A Gathering of Days ... I am trying to work my way through the past Newbery Winners. It's too bad the book has a slow start. It's hard to get kids past a slow half these days even when the last half is worth it!

PragmaticMom
http://PragmaticMom.com